Sunday, April 5, 2015

food for thought*


Since I'm not doing much for Easter (I haven't managed to get out of my pajamas today), my Sunday involved no chocolate bunnies or egg hunts, so I got to thinking about this holiday. For me, I associate Easter with my mom's garlic and parsley lamb and a new Easter dress, which I would get so hyped for back in the day. But as I got older and the egg hunts went out the window, I'm just now realizing how odd the idea of Easter egg hunting is. 

Here's my thinking: Bunnies don't lay eggs, let alone bright magenta spotted or striped blue ones. What do eggs have to do with bunnies? or Jesus? or the day in general? We dye hardboiled eggs, paint them, and then hide them in our backyards. I guess I've heard of weirder things and it's just all in good fun for the little nuggets running around your backyard, but just thought I'd share with you  – does anyone know where this tradition comes from? 

Hope you all had a terrific weekend, egg hunting/dyeing included, or not! 


xx  

(*disclaimer: I really dislike that phrase, but since we're talking animals/eggs, it'll slide)

No comments:

Post a Comment