Friday, August 9, 2013

Outside Lands: Tunes & Treats

Lovely readers, 

I'm officially introducing my girl, Sara, as a contributor to my blog who is sharing her music knowledge with all of you fabulous peeps (you can find all of her posts under So Fresh). For the upcoming weekend festivities, we present: 


//YOUR GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE OUTSIDE LANDS WEEKEND//

Hey yo! As Francesca’s trusted music adviser (and bestie since kindie), I’ve been asked to share some wisdom with all you festival-goers. A festival junkie myself, with this being my fifth Outside Lands, I’ve decided on a schedule that allows for maximum insanity. Y’all ready for this??
FRIDAY
Start your weekend off right with Smith Westerns, followed by Surfer Blood. In a toss-up between Band of Horses and Jessie Ware, I would check out Ms. Ware, because who knows the next time you’ll see this Brit girl in the States? Then we have a three-way tie between newbies Daughter and Rhye and trusty standby The National. In my opinion, Daughter’s hauntingly spare songs and Rhye’s atmospheric electronica are best listened to in your bedroom, or at an indoor venue like The Fox Theater. Boom – The National it is. This will be my third time seeing them, and I promise that frontman Matt Berninger’s intense live performance is mesmerizing, whether he’s screaming on his knees or literally walking on the crowd. Next, traverse across the park to catch Wavves (excuse the pun) before moseying over to Yeasayer. Stay put and finish your evening with Pretty Lights. Outside Lands vet, Pretty Lights finally has a night set, and he plans to make the most of it. According to the handy Outside Lands app, there’s a special crowd participation moment planned. Of all the EDM acts this weekend, Pretty Lights is at the top of my list.
SATURDAY This is the FOMO-inducing day, with great act after great act pitted head-to-head. But hey, first world problem much? Our first throwdown is between Milo Greene and Atlas Genius. Folksy pop or catchy rock? I have a personal obsession with Milo Greene’s recent album, so that’s where I’ll be, but either way you can’t miss. Next in the ring: The Growlers versus Youth Lagoon. The Growlers’ sunny garage rock and Youth Lagoon’s trippy pop grooves are both danceable, but I’d say The Growlers are the ones to watch (and if you followed my last recommendation you’ll already have a spot at the stage). Next up is a no-brainer: Jurassic 5. This 90s kid loves her 90s rap and you will too. The next few hours are a chaotic mess of awesomeness. Do you catch the first half of The Tallest Man on Earth then hurry to Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Or skip the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and see Grizzly Bear? Or, leave either one early to see The Head and the Heart? SO MANY DECISIONS. I can guarantee that Karen O’s onstage antics are well worth the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you end up at Phoenix at the end of the night. Their catchy new album is perfect for park dancing.
SUNDAY Today is my genre-mixing day. Let’s start with electro-rockers Foals, move on to garage rock powerhouse King Tuff, then wompwompwomp it up with DJ A-Trak. I know everyone’s excited about Vampire Weekend, but if you ignore the hype you appreciate hypnotic duo MS MR. Next up is festival must-see Matt & Kim, whose over-the-top energy will have you head banging the whole time. Finish up the weekend with Red Hot Chili Peppers, because what’s better than a sing-along with all your friends and the rest of San Francisco as the fog creeps through the trees?
Here's my 8tracks playlist to get y'all pregamin right.
Enjoy!
Sara

Stay tuned for my coverage of what ya should be snacking on this weekend since Outside Lands isn't just about the music, lets be real, food goes hand in hand with the entire experience. Here's a little peak from last years eats.

fried chicken & waffles

xx


p.s. check out this stunning video that captures the notorious San Francisco fog rolling in

No comments:

Post a Comment