Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Morning at The Met

A trip to The Metropolitan Museum of Art is completely worth the long lines, hundreds of tourists, and trip up to the Upper East Side. I've seen some of the coolest exhibitions there, such as Regarding Warhol: Sixty Artists, Fifty Years or Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations. Not to mention, the permanent pieces that live in the Met cover the history of art, unlike any other museum in the country.






On Thursday, I saw the Costume Institute's Punk exhibit, Chaos To Couture, which blew my mind. I learned so much about punk history and it's impact in the fashion world and specific designers, such as Givenchy, Maison Martin Margiela, Rodarte, Versace, and Alexander McQueen. Karl Lagerfield and even some Dolce and Gabanna dresses made an appearance. I loved the four categories of "D.I.Y." that split up the exhibition, hardware, bricolage, graffiti, and destroy. Unfortunately I couldn't snap any pictures, so I'm borrowing a few from the Met website so you get an idea of how amazing this experience was!



Versace Spring/Summer 1994


Dolce and Gabbana

 Multimedia exhibitions are becoming more and more popular and are starting to grow on me. What is your take on experiencing art or fashion in this format? Do you prefer more of a quiet setting with paintings hung on solid colored walls? If so, Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity, is an exhibit that you would have loved. It was which was a more traditional interpretation of a gallery experience, which does not undermine its creativity. Seeing the actual dresses, corsets, and suits that were painted in Impressionist works was very inspiring and humbling. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment